Saturday, January 24, 2009

Maternity Pant Pressure

My waistline lately has been expanding. And apparently I am carrying this baby in my ass, because it's been wasting no time expanding as well. That being said, my pants are getting rather difficult to get on. Well, I can get them on, but unless it's appropriate to wear a poly/wool blend in a Martin cut around your knees, I can no longer really WEAR them in public.
I heard through the pregnancy grapevine to just by a "size-up" to get me through the first part of the second trimester. So I went ahead and did that. And the cuts of "pant" that previously did a fabulous job of concealing all my ugly jiggly bits are no longer really filling the bill. The butt and thighs are saggy while the waist pinches and tugs creating a spare tire that you would not even find in el supermercado. And since I previously bought tops and shirts that accentutated my previously flat belly, this will never do.
The next step in the process is/was the Belly Band. A tube top inspired stretchy fabric band that you pull on under and over your unbuttoned pants- giving them life by allowing you to safely WEAR your pants sans closure. I have worn it. I DO wear it. But when I spy the larger pants that fit without this garment I generally toss this belly strangler aside. It's all about the comfort. And it's right about these days where I wish that they made sweat pants out of denim and a cotton khaki so I could wear them as opposed to these other ill-fitting items.
And then of course, last weekend, my once again very generous Mother, took me to Younkers to try on and purchase my first four pairs of "maternity garment". My initial reaction was, "Wow, I am already not giving a rat's patootie about who sees me naked anymore." Second, "Those pants are sorta huge!" Third, "These pants are HEAVEN! My waste is FREE! FREE! FREE! And my butt is hugged nicely. No more sag!". I was determined to wear them immediately upon my return home.
And then... the part no one TELLS you about? The underlying pressure to avoid maternity pants for as long as possible demonstrating your extreme ability to not get fat in your butt and thighs during pregnancy. And I am falling for it hook, line and sinker. I have sported the most random of outfits in the last week. Stretching my creative juices and maxing out my clothes, especially all things made of cotton, or have a bit of give.
The cozy and cute maternity pants sit in waiting- practically begging me to strip off the tags and yank them on. And believe me, I have tried them on several times. And then in a surge of panic, plied them off as quickly as I pulled them on to opt for something a little "less" maternity.
But today, at 15 weeks along, I give. I am giving in. I am going to sport my maternity jeans under a big long bulky sweater as I lunch and brunch with my girlfriends. I didn't make it to the four month mark, which was my pressure-filled goal, but I can no longer take the pinching waste.
It will be terrific to plow through a breakfast plate of egg strudel and not have to excuse myself afterward for some private bathroom adjusting via tugging and pulling the belly band. And despite the fact that I didn't "make it", I am really not surprised, as I am a piggy anyway. And so it is.

7 comments:

Jen W said...

Yeah, the reality is that you are growing another human being and that will take up some space. Just go with it and let comfort be your guide!

And on an unrelated note, what the heck are you doing up at 4:50 am posting on your blog???!!??

Lori said...

Yeah...uh.. that insomnia thing.. it's brutal.

Anonymous said...

good day ppl. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been searching for the sake of that meticulous make. The prices as regards the sneakers were about 180 dollars on every site. But for all I base this location selling them for half price. I absolutely want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hi there dudes. I'm really into shoes and I was searching for the sake of that meticulous brand. The prices as regards the boots are about 250 dollars everwhere. But definitively I found this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I really want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

hi everyone. I'm actually into shoes and I had been looking for the sake of that meticulous brand. The prices seeking the sneakers were all over 310 dollars on every page. But definitively I set this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase these. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good morning friends. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging for that exact model. The prices for the boots were all over 220 bucks on every page. But completely I found this area selling them for half price. I absolutely want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order them. what can you say about it?