Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I Am Not Nearly as Cool as I Think I Am


I know I talk about fashion more than your regular gal, but less than a true "fashionista". I am overly concerned with my clothing and I know it. But I cannot help it. So finding a stain on my button down blows. And the day I wore navy tights with my black skirt and boots to work was terrible for me. The day I crapped my pants, literally, while at work, was a complete nightmare. Well, even fashion aside on that one. But really, my pants looked pretty awful.
So deciding to bite the bullet this morning and going for school spirit was hard for me. To purposefully look wierd during our Homecoming Spirit Week. The title was "Decade Throwback" or something along those lines. Basically dress in your favorite era. Easy one for me. I mean, my name is Lori for goodness sake. Even my NAME reeks of the seventies.
I busted out my red suede jacket. Buttoned up my lightly floralled cowboy shirt. Wore my flare jeans. Threw on a necklace and slid into my brown suede shoes. For extra uumph I parted my long curly hair right down the middle of my head. Voila. "The Seventies".
Not so much.
When I needed to pop into the gas station this morning I giddily walked in and wondered "What must they think of my ridiculous costume! Haha! I am just SOOO wacky! " The attendant greeted me with the usual.
When I walked into the building and ran into a co-worker I asked, "What era are you?" She smiled brightly, "Oh-the eighties!" ( Like I couldn't tell!!) No response on MY era.
When I ran around the school during my "free" period I waited patiently for someone to comment. But nary a word was heard regarding my "craziness" today.
I sat down in my classroom with my aide during our lunch period and said, "No one seems to notice my outfit!" Her stifled giggle response was reassuring that I didn't look nearly as "70's" as I thought I did. And even worse... I look like the "70's" ...a lot. So much that not even a red suede jacket on throwback day could illicit a single comment.
Tomorrow is "Dress like a student day"... I am SO going for it because the way I see it, I can don a hoodie and jeans.
Surely then tomorrow someone will tell me that Throwback Day was yesterday.

1 comment:

Jen W said...

Ah yes, the day you crapped in your pants. That.was.awesome.