Sunday, September 7, 2008

Boxing in MY House?

We decided, or rather the local economy decided, that we would be staying in our two bedroom condo, indefintely. Our dreams of a yard and a garage within 50 yards that is not TANDEM ( seriously, if you think that through, you can imagine the HUGE pain it is ) have come crashing down faster than you can say: we can barely pay our mortage.
In order to make do, we have decided that the mish-mosh of a second bedroom needed to be utilized as more than a freshly painted and carpeted storage closet. Because you very well know that when you give up and throw in the towel on the purpose of a room, disaster ensues. Paint easel, computer, files, clothes, camping gear, luggage, guitar ( that one lesson I took was really fun! ) vacuum, library, gift-wrap. You name it, it found it's home in the second bedroom. And because I "get" most of the rest of the house ( as in kitchen, large closet, MOST cabinets and dining room ) as MY space, I couldn't help but feel that maybe a stroke of man in the we-can-close-the-door-when-guests-come second bedroom might be the fair thing to do. That and I overhead him saying it.
So for the last couple of weeks, we have talked about what to do. My thoughts were second bedroom. Because it's a second bedroom. I figured a TV and a futon and we were money. But my husband had other ideas. Boxing arena. So in a moment of love I said sure... what do we need?
On Wednesday a hugungous box came from FedEx with a punching bag inside. And suddenly it all became very real. I was going to have a one bedroom two full bath condo with a boxing ring. And I have to admit, after the dust settled in my brain, I began to really like the idea. Embrace it in fact. And by Saturday morning I was slinging crap into the garbage bin with the best of 'em. And I found myself hopping in the truck for the ride when we realized that the water you dump into the base of the free-standing punching bag would not be heavy enough for my former boxer husband and we needed to go and get sand... which for those who care water weighs 10 pounds for a gallon and the sand would weigh 15. SO, as you can clearly see we needed the sand.
And then we went to Dick's and because I trust my husband completely when he says he will train me I excitedly picked up my own pair of pink boxing gloves. And I love them. And can't you see how great this will be for our marriage?
And while I don't think the second bedroom looks better,per se, it sits well with me that it finally has a purpose.

2 comments:

Jen W said...

I just laughed so hard at "I was going to have a one bedroom two full bath condo with a boxing ring." that I made my neighbor's dog bark.

Anonymous said...

Will pink boxing gloves leave a purple bruise? Colorful for sure!! M