Monday, September 15, 2008

What? NO SCHOOL??

I am supposed to be sleeping in right now. School has been canceled due to the fact that most of my district has declared a state of emergency. Flooding. From the rain. The rain that has been disrupting my life since Friday night when we spent an hour and a half in the car to drive two miles, then turned around and came home, never making it even close to our destination.
Billy was called out to work at six in the morning on Saturday, and then my exciting plans for the day were henceforth canceled.
It started off okay. The warm and cozy "flooded in" feeling. An excuse to go nowhere and spend time at home doing those things that get neglected here and there.
I have baked cookies, taken a luxurous bath, done all the laundry, planned the meals for the week, cleaned the house, read three books ( yes, three ) watched two movies, including Legally Blonde 2 ( for about the tenth time), and I loved every second of it, caught up on some excruciating G's to Gents, but I can't resist, wedding present shopped via the internet, gone to the two stores in my area that I can safely get too, Dominick's and Target, and even completed the US Constitution Studyguide I plan on giving my students today. Well, as of now, tomorrow.
Since school was canceled.
Among the texts and phone calls I received from my co-workers, extolling their excitement, I must admit I was,... annoyed.
I am bored out of my mind. My husband has been gone all weekend, working away, so the most human contact I have had was via the check out girl and my elderly neighbor who bitched me out for not putting in a new sump pump earlier in the year- like he told me, too. He's so not getting any cookies.
And I know I should be grateful for the day off, but I am pretty much caught up on lounging and cleaning. I am feeling antsy. My eyes are darting around my house, just waiting for a speck of dest to land so I may attack it with my weapon, a paper towel. My feet are searching for an excuse to walk from one room to another- giving my overly-lounged butt a reason to move a little bit. My ears are listening for the phone to ring, or at least a neighbor outside I can pounce on and force to talk to me.
And even though it's not even Fall here, I might just tackle my closet. Figure out what goes and stays, put away the gladiator sandals and bust out the wool. So tomorrow when I go back to work I will be sweating my ass off in a turtleneck and and knee-highs.
Either that or start on the "picture project"... photos commemorating the last five years of my life that currently lay in boxes, bags, and piles... begging to be organized into: well, that's where the project falls flat. I get stumped on how to group them.
And what are you supposed to do with the little photos you get in Christmas cards and birth announcements and update letters? It's terrible to think of what a friend might say upon seeing their little Johnny's precious face a foot deep in coffee grounds and Dove Bar wrappers. Trashing the photo is not trashing them, is it?
I digress.
I just hope we have school tomorrow.

1 comment:

Jen W said...

I hate to admit it but when the holiday season is over...so are the pictures, under my coffee grounds.