Thursday, September 25, 2008

What did ya SAY??

So, the counselor came down to my room to tell me about a new student. I thought he started off by telling me she had "bad skin". I thought it was an odd thing to mention. However, this particular counselor might just say something like that... if you can catch my drift here.
So I see the new student... and this student has perfect skin.
Let me just insert here that reputations precede us. Because he's kind of a wacky guy. Camp counselor, braided lanyard, rides his bike to school kind of guy. He will talk about canoeing, or his weight, or leprechauns at any given moment... and you wait on hinges wondering where he is going. Generally, however, he ends up making some sense.
So I thought he was being... considerate. So that I wouldn't be... shocked... by this skin I would have to teach.
When I finally laid eyes on the student, the skin was not alarming in the slightest. And here I was thinking of those "after" pictures that we see of heroin addicts. The skin was actually sorta pretty.
It was not until I laid in bed that night did I figure out that the counselor had spoken into my bad ear. Of which I damaged doing something incredibly stupid. And so deserve the deafness.
But by now, I had told my co-workers about the bad skin. And they e-mailed me as they met her, that no... her skin was not bad at all actually.
And so for several days I forgot about my lapse in hearing. And every night, as a I lay in bed remembering, I found it funnier still, that because the counselor is so wacky, they never questioned ME. The real culprit of the miscommunication.
And a field day was had by all when I finally DID remember to tell them today that perhaps he hadn't thought the skin so bad, as much as I didn't hear what the hell he actually said. And I surmised to my comrades what do you think he actually DID say:
Thier Answers:
Alaskan?
Off task in?
Bad in?
Bad sin?
Rad kid?
Itascan?
Bath shin?
I suppose I could just ask. But this is too much fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She probably had "been asking" about being transferred to your class. Ha Ha M

Jen W said...

Ah Yes M!!! I think that might be it!

Lori said...

I forgot my favorite one...Works at Baskin Robbins?