Friday, August 22, 2008

The 2008 Olympics

Okay, so I can no longer resist.

Last night- while watching the Olympics with my husband, I exclaimed to him that the male runners outfits were distracting and I was having a difficult time of not focusing on the frank and beans. I feel the same way about women's volleyball. BEACH volleyball. Are we not all just waiting for one of the "girls" to pop out? There are some other sports too, that I am not sure I really "get" the outfit and how it actually contributes to the execution of the game. But basically, some of these lycra stretchy type things are distracting to me. My mind drifts into what I might look like in such an outfit. That would be a hilarious sight. I envision something similar to Horton. The Who-hearing elephant.

Regardless, I just clicked on the medal count. Looks like business as usual. We are thrashing the other countries. Which, if you have ever been in a less developed foreign country during the Olympics, I am sure you noted that while we pride ourselves on licking the medal bowl clean, they have far fewer goals and lower expectations. They are happy to win in one of the sports they CHOSE to send representation to compete in- not every single one. It's a more focused effort for sure. They, for Americans who are not aware of this fact, could care less that we insist on creaming in the overall. They don't LOOK UP TO YOU. Or US. They are still proud. And we ususally still win.

I digress. Seems to me that somebody must have had something to do with the way we represent our wins on the internet chart. It's tilted to represent the US as on top. NOT TRUE!
China is killing us in the Golds- our measly 30 is nothing to thier 47. Granted we have more Bronze, but who cares?

I don't care who wins the most medals. I like the Olympics and I like the pride I get for cheering on our athletes. And while I hope we compete well, I also hope we don't do whatever it is to cheat ourselves into thinking we are the best when we are clearly not. It takes the fun out of it.

No comments: