Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Re- A Drop of Golden Sun

I love show tunes. And musicals. And I am not sure what this says about me. I DO know that I can hardly ever find a single person to attend a musical with me.
Once when I lived in the city I found a "club" on Craig's list seeking such girls to attend shows together. With trepidation, I went once but felt like the leader was a controlling freak and was therefore "busy" the rest of the season. I had season tickets to the Steppenwolf for years. But by the last season my friends, all deeply involved with marriages and babies, chose to skip the shows in order to partake in a few too many cocktails. Leaving me quivering on my barstool as the curtains were drawing, and I would pretend like I "got it" and joylessly ordered another Miller Lite. We didn't renew our tickets.
Any which way, my best bet is my mother. The last show I saw with her was Jersey Boys. I won't bother to talk about how great it is because I learned long ago that singing the praises of a musical to non-fans is like talking about the 7th inning of the Cubs game to me. Dull, pointless, and annoying.
When I last saw my mother she gave me a burned copy of the Jersy Boys soundtrack. And today, I am totally excited, because I will have a good uninterrupted 45 minutes in my car, sans husband, who also does NOT share my penchant for musical scores, to listen and jam out to my hearts content.
I am not sure about the hills, but for sure my car will be alive with the sound of music. Yee haw!

No comments: