Sunday, August 17, 2008

Black Wedding

We went to a wedding last night. I hadn't been to someting like that all summer and was looking forward to it. To get dressed up and do the Chicken Dance and stuff like that. Since I didn't really know the bride or groom I didn't even buy anything new to wear, just sort of pulled something old, black and trustworthy out of the closet. I was pleased with the overall end result. Sort of a cross between "blends into the wall" and "okay". Of course, no one blended into these walls becuase they were a giant mural of some kind of European beach scene.


The vibe was...um... weird when we got there. Really weird. I noticed that everyone was wearing black. In August. And I didn't feel any of that excited "just married" chemistry in the air. The best man speech was short and awful. Like as in nothing prepared and he actually said the word jag-off into the microphone and no one clapped and it was just awkward. The bride kept rolling her eyes and a girl at my table said she overheard the wedding party placing bets on how long the marriage would last. Ouch.


But, I was intent on having a good time. And when the emcee put a sombrero on my head and had me lead the congo line I accepted with unbridled ( and slightly tipsy ) enthusiasm. I had a friend once and she used to always say, when in doubt... Conga Line. And I have to admit, a Conga line really is a pretty good time.



They handed out mini- champagne bottles for party favors. Another plus in my book. Better than a cheap frame or candle. Something I will actually use. I mean, what are some of these brides thinking? No offense, but as excited as you are to tie the knot- most of us out there, besides your mother and your weird cousin, don't really need, or want, a memento to immortalize your plunge into wife-hood. It's not the best day of OUR life it's the best day of yours. Supposedly.

It was a pretty good time, for me anyway. I feel bad for the folks who care about the couple and don't have any hope they will last or can't reach deep and find even a smidgen of support for thier union. It can't be good to start off a marriage with so much doubt around you.

No comments: