Thursday, August 28, 2008

What an Ass!

This weekend there are going to be 13 people staying in one cabin ( only this cabin has Granite countertops and flat screens and an in-door water park) . It's a celebration. For my parent's 60th anniversary and all they wanted was to spend time with the family. And since I really actually like my family, I think it's a great gift and I am looking forward to it. To prepare I went to Sam's club. To get liquor, mostly.
I was third in line. Meaning the girl checking out and then a guy and then me. The girl checking out had two carts. One cart contained a baby, a very young baby, in car seat- like weeks old, and some bottled waters. The OTHER cart contained what looked like the ingredients to maintain a small bomb shelter supplied for like.. a year. I noticed that the girl was struggling-which made me feel bad because she was still wearing her maternity pants and I thought she must be like... feeling exasperated already. She didn't really know how to load up one cart without smashing her baby. So the cute, friendly check out girl said, "Screw it, I will help ya." And off they went. In a small act of heroism she left her station un-attended and marched that girl's second cart out to the lot for her. I was touched. And even though I really did want my turn to come, I thought it was a nice gesture. Plus, I was stuffed from the free samples and all I really could ask for was one of my beers but figured wanting one that bad would suggest something on the side of needy so overlooked myself long enough to appreciate what was going on.
Then the guy goes up, with his protein bars and fruit snacks and beer and starts bitching at the check out girl . Like really bitching about HIS time and not FAIR and she was RUDE and she was just supposed to ring people up.
And as he bitched I could see the friendly check out girl start to bring it. I could see her wheels turnin' and her thinking what an ASS... She gave it right back and the guy tried to be imploring but really, what's he going to do? Slap her? He walked off in a tirade. A serious tirade.
Then quickly it became MY turn and I wanted the cute friendly check out girl to feel good for her graciousness. And I told her that guy was a jerk. To get on her good side because I could see clearly that she needed it and also because I didn't like her bad side. It was kind of scary.
She left me with the comment, " Yeah, well, ya know... working here you gotta deal with people like that all the time. And I aint' gonna let nobody go and ruin my day when I got my kids to get home to. They don't deserve for him to ruin MY day."
And I told her from now on I would wait in her line no matter how long because I liked her. And she smiled.
And that makes me feel good because last Spring I ROYALLY messed up my relationship with my Dominick's check out lady and I have been needing a replacement. And also because I could see how she made her check out job at Sam's something more than just a crappy job at Sam's.

1 comment:

Jen W said...

"And I aint' gonna let nobody go and ruin my day when I got my kids to get home to. They don't deserve for him to ruin MY day."

Words to live by- truly.

But I think you'll need a bigger pantry if you're go to place for groceries becomes Sam's Club!